The REPASTOL exploratory program works in line with the recent considerations about agro-ecology extended to sustainable agri-food systems. It carries on a fundamentally multidisciplinary and global research on milk agri-food systems. In France and Southern Europe, raw milk production as an alternative to pasteurisation has a longstanding history; in many other places It starts to meet a renewed interest when for instance, customers claim for a right to choose their food or when the cold chain is inefficient or absent. The study will draw on a series of case studies with varied geographies, milk cultures, biologic and micro-flora ecosystems, economies and regulation logics (France, Morocco, Brazil, Australia, India namely). Our multidimensional assessment will namely take into consideration sustainable rural development issues fostered by law investment innovations; rural people empowerment and feeding; consumers food security – above all when the cold chain is missing; management of the micro-flora balance resorting to hurdle technologies; transportation and control costs; by-products recovery and value enhancement; rights to food diversity.
Collaborators to this programme
- INRA, SADAPT & RITME: Christine de Sainte Marie, political economics ; Débora Pereira, communication sciences (collaboration).
- CIRAD UMR innovation: Mariagiulia Mariani, PhD student in Geography
- INRA, UMR Qualisud: Gérard Loiseau, dairy technology and microbiology
- INRA, Unité de recherches fromagères, Aurillac: Marie Christine Montel and Céline Delbes, microbiology
- UMR 7206 CNRS-MNHN Eco-anthropologie: Laurence Bérard et Elise Demeulenaere, ethnology and et anthropology
- INRA CRRA Tanger Maroc: M. Chentouf ; S. Zantar (animal productions)
- GRUPAM UFS, UPEL,UFRJ, MAPA – Brésil: Jacqueline Sgarbi (anthropology) ; Sonia Menezes (geography) ; Ligia Inhan (economics) ; Gilberto Mascarenhas (sociology)
- Bond University, Brisbane Australie: William Van Caenighem, comparative law
For more details, see the “Project Summary” (French text).
Click here for the programme schedule in English (for French version, click here) of the 1st Repastol seminar on « Revisiting the Pastorian evidence» entitled “Framing the health risks on raw milk cheese with norms and regulations? A crossed perspectives analysis” that was held on 29th and 30th June 2016 at AgroParisTech, Paris, France.
Click here for the programme schedule in French of the 2nd Repastol seminar entitled “Apprivoiser le vivant invisible – Savoirs, usages, appropriations de la microbiodiversité fromagère” held on 15th and 16th December 2016 at the Muséum national d’Histoire, Paris, France.
Click here for the programme schedule in French of the 3rd and final Repastol seminar entitled “Gouvernance des systèmes fromagers au lait cru. Reconnaissance, différenciations qualitatives, modalités de coexistence entre producteurs et filières” held on 15th and 16th June 2017 at the Supagro, Institut des régions chaudes (IRC), Montpellier, France.